Today is meatless Monday here! Let me share with you one of my favorite vegan recipes, light and tasty, great for a light Monday after a Thanksgiving weekend. Let’s take easy on our digestion today and nourish our body with nutrient rich foods.
- 2 cups chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped leek
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast* (optional)
- 3 green zucchini, sliced into noodles
- 1 yellow zucchini, sliced into noodles
- 1/2 cup sunflower, broccoli or alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 cup thinly julienned red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare Sage Pesto: Remove stems from basil and sage.
- In food processor, gently pulse basil, sage, leek, pine nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast*, and salt until finely minced. Add the oil slowly and in a thin, even stream, pulsing until sauce has reached a coarse consistency.
- Prepare Squash Pasta: In large bowl, combine green and yellow zucchini noodles with sprouts and bell pepper.
- In small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the Sage Pesto, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Serve: Slowly spoon the pesto onto the noodles, mix together gently with hands, and serve. If you prefer it lightly sauced, don’t add all the pesto to the mixture. Garnish with fresh basil and/or the Parmesan, if desired.
- Yield: 6 servings
*Nutritional Yeast: I don;t often use nutritional yeast on my diet, so I leave it as an optional ingredient here, although the original recipe includes it.This recipe was created by Chad Sarno, on the Crazy Sexy Kitchen book with Kris Carr. Photograph from kriscarr.com